Monday, October 20, 2008

Wiring on my own

The builder allowed me to do some wiring on my own. Low voltage of course. So, I was able to coordinate a time when the electrician had most of his work done.

I ran wiring for ethernet, whole house audio, and a central vac.

For the whole house audio, I ended up with 6 zones. Each room had cat5e and 16/4 wire from the home run location to the control box, then 14/2 wire to each speaker location from there. I probably should have put in double gang boxes for the control units just for planning, but i ended up using single gang. I can always cut out the box if needed later. I also ended up with two locations, like the master bath that had speaker and ability for volume control. For the 2 exterior doors, I just left the wire hanging in the wall on the sides of the doors so I can drill and pull the wire through when we are ready in the future.

For the central vac, I needed 6 locations to make sure the 30' foot hose would reach everywhere. I was pretty easy to run the tubing with the access to virtually anywhere. We have a laundry chute since our laundry is the basement currently, so that provided a perfect path in the surrounding framing to run the tubing.

I also ran a chase 2" tube along the central vac tube from basement to attic for future use to run wiring.

No comments: